Requiem for a
A number of people have reached out over the past 24 hours to let me know that my hometown den of bad decisions is finally being torn down. This was the sort of place that provided so many hours of drunken entertainment that I remember much less than I could and much more than I should. Nevertheless, time for one of those bulleted list of recollections I love so much!
- I had a few misguided crushes on dudes who played in bands here. The music was generally awful, as were the dudes.
- I was BFFs with the band Presley, and sang with them once, but the sound guy was so wasted he never turned on my mic.
- There was a window just a few feet from the entrance that was at ground level and could easily be used to evade the bouncer. Want to smoke inside? Hang out the window. Want to drink outside? Hang in the window. I think I’ll miss the window most of all.
- During my most dirtbag period of youth I would just bring booze to the parking lot, hang out with all my friends smoking outside, and never actually enter the bar.
- Despite all of our debauched transgressions over the years, only one of us was ever ejected from the bar…and it was FORREST.
- On my last visit there, shortly before moving away, I walked into the ladies room and there was a poop on the floor… The bar had just opened and my friend and I were the only ladies in the place so how long had that poop been there!?
Ah, yes, so many memories, but I think I said it best back in 2006 when I called Kim from the parking lot (where I was inexplicably hiding behind an SUV) to report “Honestly, seriously, exciting stuff is happening. Everyone is here. Everyone, everything. There are people inside, there are people outside. This is some real blue moon ish.”